Friday, June 29, 2007

Mr. Pox

Marines will charge a hill toward gun fire because we are told to do so, we will show tremendous courage and self-sacrifice when it comes to doing the impossible. Yet when told to go to medical many of us simply break down. I went to medical last week and was informed I needed 3 shots and some blood drawn. One of these shots being a smallpox shot. A show of hands how many older Americans and or prior service members have the luxury of knowing exactly what I speak of? I read the pamphlet given to me. I then read the symptoms for the shot. I liked my odds of getting smallpox as to putting up with the symptoms for the next 3-4 weeks. Another side effect of my volley of shots is I can snort Anthrax and potentially only get really sick now.

You know what docs need more of? Humor. Doc doesn't really like it when you ask how good he is at drawing blood. It was a simple question, I don't like seeing needles stick in me. I also don't like the thought of you poking around my arm trying to find a vein. To the doc that drew my blood, "Lighten up". It was only a joke when I said you have one shot to draw my blood, then we are using yours! No really a joke Ha Ha Ha (forced laugh).

4 comments:

bnovak said...

Will, I feel for you...that would be my downfall, too. And then getting all those nasty shots at once has to do crazy things to a person's immune system! Do you know if they'll let you keep your wisdom teeth? Take care and stay away from medical people!

Carolyn said...

Gotta laugh at the things you learn later that were also included when joined the Marines. Can't picture the words "small pox" existed on the initial contract.

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!!! Come on you're a Marine, you can handle it. That's what we used to say when we administered shots and drew blood. Funny thing though, the blood was marine green (LOL). Rich is going to Maryland for ordinance training. His address was just posted today on MyFamily.
-Gary

Gary said...

Will,

I am now trying to send comments with my blog identity. I thought i had one, but it looks like I didn't. Will you get to see fireworks tonight? How does anthrax taste? I hope you are not serious about tasting that stuff!