Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Duty

Today I landed Barracks duty. Its a 24 hour unarmed post. I am the Cpl who acts as the duty non-commissioned officer (DNCO). I have a faithful companion who is my assistant the ADNCO. Its rather a mundane task of making sure a building stays where it is supposed to be. I have a 12x12 room (luckily with air) that has a telephone and a desk, and about 4 years worth of Maxium magazines (I am not over exaggerating here). We actually have been rather busy today with opening the doors for the various maintenance people that stop by. I feel like a mall security guard, I have a shiney buckle on my duty belt. Picture a big batman style belt but OD green and without a grappling hook. A grappling hook would make duty more interesting though. I wouldn't have to use the stairs to sneak up on people smoking on the 3rd deck.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Do they provide training on how to make sure a building stays put? As a civilian I don't know if I know what to do in the situation where it moved.

Gary said...

Hooray for grappling hooks. You have grappled us down here in Florida on Sanibel Island at the Public Library!!!!

Could not stay disconnected for a whole week. Glad to hear things are going well for you.