Friday, January 11, 2008

Snow in Iraq

As many of you may seen on the news, it snowed in Baghdad the other day. Yes it also snowed where we are stationed as well. Big white fluffy flakes that did not stick as they hit the ground. I think we officially hit our "rainy" season out here with our first measurable amount of rain. If I had to estimate I would say .4 to .5 tenths. Not much by back home standards, but it was enough to wet all the sand and leave mud puddles everywhere. It is also alot of rain for a place that doesn't get over 2 inches a year.

On the lighter side of things, Myrtle "Frank" the Turle was brought into the world yesterday. Carolyn sent a chia pet over for christmas. The long name comes from I wanted to name it Myrtle for obvious reasons (mainly because it rhymed). While a certain Twizzler hoarding Marine wanted to name it Frank. I compromised (he still claims victory due to the fact he has been a Sgt longer than me...I humor him).

3 comments:

bnovak said...

Hi Will,
I saw a picture in the newspaper of 2 Bagdhad children making snowballs and playing in snow that looked a couple of inches deep! So I guess they got more than you did. We have something in common with you....mud. Today we took Gracie and Mozart to the dog park. I don't know what we were thinking, but it was Saturday and they just love to go, so we went. They got so much mud on them that it just wasn't even funny. Tried rubbing them with old towels before putting them into the car. Ran the bath water at home and oh my gosh, there was enough mud in the tub to plant a crop! At least the dogs are clean again, and tomorrow when they ask to go to the dog park again, we will politely say "no way!" Take care, Will, and keep up the good work! Carolyn's Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Sgt. Will,
We are a little late but my family and I just wanted to wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year and a safe and speedy return home.
Debra

bnovak said...

Hi Will, from the cold and frozen midsection of America! We had 8 degrees below zero last night and wind chills way below that. Even Lafayette has a similar cold blast. Wow! sure makes you appreciate having a furnace! Is it below freezing Iraq too? Is your can heated? All this cold means that spring will come next and you'll be on your way home. So let's get past this wintery blast!
Wondered how Myrtle Frank the Turtle is doing? Does she/he sport a Marine buzz haircut yet?
Take care and keep counting down those days! Carolyn's Mom