Thursday, November 1, 2007

Marine Hording

I am sure it comes from our training of having to do without, but what possesses Marines to horde ‎perfectly good items from the chow hall? I really don't know what causes this. I do know that you ‎can get 8 cans of soda in your cargo pockets (not mine per se, but a friend). I also have ‎witnessed 15 cans of "Rip-It" coming out of the chow hall by another Marine. Rip-Its are about ‎the same size as the baby soda cans you can get at Wal-Mart back home. Today I was guilty of ‎this action as well. We needed coffee creamer back at the shop, so I walked out with 12 packets ‎of creamer. 12 packets! That is a weeks worth of dairy creamer for me! Near-beer (or NA beer), ‎is another hot commodity. Non-alcoholic beer seems to go very quickly. Somehow our small ‎section of 7 Marines now has horded close to 18 cans of this stuff. It’s not even that good! I ‎imagine its going to be a tough transition when you go to a place that has "grab your own" sodas ‎with the meal not to just stuff 4 in your pockets and try to walk out when we all get home.‎

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Near-Beer + Cactus Cup + Bad Eighties music = not so far off from a normal night at the Cactus!

Gary said...

I think it is from the mentality that its there, so therefore, I can take it. I'm surprised they have near beer. I thought Iraq was totally non-alcoholic. Last I knew, Near Beer was 3% alcohol. Do you drink it warm or do you use your A/C to cool it down?

Are you still working 12 hour days?

Will said...

The standard day is 11-12 hours. Our extended hour schedule means we work 17-18 hours a day! NA- beer is .05% alcohol.

bnovak said...

Hi Will,
I can't even imagine working 17-18 hours a day, 7 days a week! What is your schedule to eat, sleep, shower, get hair cuts, clean your room and clothes, and work those long hours? I can't believe you guys can keep going--Marines sure are tough! I sincerely wish I could donate a weekend to you. Take care of yourself and stay safe. Carolyn's Mom